Wednesday, May 4, 2016

after years of coma, malafemmina press awakens

After years of coma, malafemmina press has awakened to publish
 
You'll never have me like you want me (ISBN-13: 979-1220009928), a novel that tells the story, in her own words, of Emilia, a middle-aged Italian-American woman who goes, alone, to live in Italy because it's the only place in the world where it's normal to be Italian. It turns out not to be what she expected.
 
If you want to know more about daily life in Italy, or if you want to share what you know about daily life in Italy, or if you have anything at all to say about being Italian-American in the U.S. or in Italy, or if you want to ask questions about the book, feel free to participate.
 
From the back cover:
 
When Emilia realizes what Italy means, she decides to keep a journal.
As an Italian-American who lived all her life in Brooklyn, Emilia goes to Italy because she wants to live in the only place in the world where it's normal to be Italian. She doesn't speak Italian well and isn't familiar with the laws. Although she has Italian citizenship, she can't get real help from her psychologist or her social worker. Her life gets smaller and smaller. Her chances get slimmer and slimmer.
The solution to all her problems appears in an unexpected flash.
 
Rose Romano is an Italian-American living in Italy for several years. In the United States, she published a literary journal, la bella figura, and founded malafemmina press, publishing only the work of Italian-Americans. Her books of poetry (Vendetta and The Wop Factor) and her anthology (la bella figura: a choice) are included in the collections of many public and university libraries. Her work has been taught at universities in the United States and Canada. She has organized and participated in poetry readings and book presentations in the United States, Canada, and Italy.
 
The second book is expected in July.
 
Write to me! I'm hungry! Italian food is nothing like Italian-American food.

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear your voice after the long silence, or was it just our ears were blocked and we couldn't hear ya? Anyway, a lot has happened since we last swapped syllables. Good to know there's a place to reach you now. Gotta run now, but thanks for the invite to put something up on your blog. I'll give it some thought and get back to you. Arrivederci!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said to a friend once that someone who had read my work told me I had "disappeared." (My friend is an intelligent woman, university education, does work that involves thinking.) She looked a little baffled for a moment and said, "Ma come, sei sparita? Ma se ti vedo proprio qui davanti a me..."
    I guess it depends on where your nose is pointed.
    But I'd really like to know what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose... Glad to see to have walked back into Presshood. I'm sure you never stopped writing. In fact, I am convinced. Now that I am out of the Press World I realize that there aren't many places that keep things moving. Hopefully you will put your poems together for us to enjoy. Auguri. A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact, just a few minutes ago I ordered a proof copy of a new book of my poems. I'm hoping it'll be available by the beginning of July.

      I'll get in touch with you soon.

      Delete
  4. Hi Rose,

    It’s been such a long time and I’m rapt to hear from you. Your work was so pivotal in my early days! I now have PhD students exploring being Italian and LGBTI, and I work with Dr Chiara Bertone from Piedmont in Italy. Indeed, I may be in Rome for a conference in October on "Transnational Italies".

    I can’t wait to purchase your book.

    Maria
    xxx

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society
    Jiddu Krishnamurti
    If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
    Dalai Lama

    Dr Maria Pallotta-Chiarolli
    Senior Lecturer in Social Diversity in Health and Education
    School of Health and Social Development
    Deakin University
    221 Burwood Highway,
    Burwood, Victoria, 3125, Australia.
    Mobile: + 61 414 804 529
    Email: mariapc@deakin.edu.au
    Webpage: http://mariapallottachiarolli.com.au/
    Member of AGMC Inc (Australian GLBTIQ Multicultural Committee)
    Member of Victoria Police LGBTI and Multicultural Priority Communities Taskforces
    Member of Department of Health and Human Services LGBTI Working Group.
    I acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of Country and their enduring sovereignty and I bear witness to their diversity, strength, and resilience, and honour the Elders past and present.

    ReplyDelete